Monday, March 16, 2009

Read the box

I have begun to enjoy cooking a lot more and this evening fixed an absolutely wonderful pasta dish with asparagus and peas in cream sauce, oh yum! As many of you know, I have become quite a foodie and wonder, just when, did meat, or carbs, or butter become bad? A diet is what you eat on a daily basis, not some sacrificial plan to follow until you fit back into your size 'x', or until you go on your cruise, or....

Anyway, I'm done being on my soap box. Check out this pasta box below. These two pictures are of the same box. Notice, how where the cooking instructions are, there are only four 'portions' in the box but how on the nutrition facts, there are seven, reasonably sized, servings in the very same box. Makes me wanna go, hm.....



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When they shrink the servings on the nutrition label to make seven servings, then the other "contents" shrink, too - fat, sodium, sugar,etc. They weren't savy enough to catch the mistake you caught! What made me think of this was something I read less than an hour ago that said that, instead of making cereal (targeted to children) more nutritious, they just shrank the serving size so that sodium, sugar, fat, etc. amounts were smaller - making it LOOK healthier, but actually changing nothing. I appreciate your point of view. M

Catherine said...

It was whole wheat pasta....don't think they have to shrink it to a portion that's reasonable to make it 'fit' into a proper diet...???